When visiting Labská bouda or the Elbe Spring, visit the Elbe Waterfall. It is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the Giant Mountains.
The Elbe waterfall (German Elbfall) is located near the Elbe hut. The Elbe waterfall is not as well known as its popular "competitive" neighbor - Pančavský waterfall - the highest waterfall in the Czech Republic. Although the Elbe waterfall is smaller, it is also very beautiful and has its ancient history.
We highly recommend that you combine a trip to the Elbe Waterfall with a visit to the Pančava Waterfall, which with its height of 148 m is the highest waterfall in the Czech Republic. A TIP for a trip to the Pančava Waterfall is available here. We recommend that you return to Špindl through the Elbe Mine (following the blue tourist signs) - see this tip for a trip - The source of the Elbe, you will walk around the Elbe Waterfall, you will descend stone steps and paths and the foot Elbe Mine and you will also see the Pančava Waterfall in all its beauty. It is a beautiful trip, but please note that due to the difficult descent and the stone hiking trail, this trip is not suitable for prams and cyclists - see photo gallery.
GOOD TO KNOW:
- One kilometer above the Elbe waterfall is the Elbe Spring. The source of the European river Elbe.
- The Elbe waterfall is 35 m high.
- Altitude: 1220-1250 and 1180 m above sea level.
- Height of the Elbe waterfall: 30 and 4.4 m
- Flow: 50 l / s
- Total slope of the Elbe waterfall: 55 ° and 50 °
- The cascades of the Elbe waterfall have several stages that fall into the Elbe mine.
- The Elbe falls from a height of 1265 meters above sea level. The most abundant flow of the waterfall is at the end of April to the beginning of May, when the snow on the Elbe meadow melts.
- You can see the Elbe waterfall from the edge of the Elbe gorge.
- The original Elbe hut, which burned down on November 6, 1965, was in close proximity to the Elbe waterfall. The current Labská bouda is newly built 200 meters higher.
- Plan a trip to the Elbe Waterfall outside the winter season. In winter, the Elbe waterfall is stored under a layer of ice. The winter trip to Labská bod is described here. However, we declare in advance that you will see only a part of the icefall ...
- When visiting the Elbe Waterfall in summer, check out the Pančava Waterfall and Ambrožova vyhlídka. You will be amazed by the unique view of the Elbe valley, the fairy-tale meanders of the nascent Elbe and the breathtaking ridges of the Giant Mountains.
- Choose a visit to the Elbe waterfall outside the summer season, or take a trip on a weekday. In the full summer season, this route is very busy due to its great popularity and you will meet crowds of tourists. If only possible, choose less exposed dates and enjoy a trip to the Elbe and Pančava waterfalls!
The Elbe waterfall is only 200 meters from the Elbe hut and a kilometer from the source of the Elbe below the Elbe hut. The Elbe waterfall falls from a height of 30 meters into the Elbe gorge and then the Elbe flows over a 200 m long section of stony rapids through the Elbe Mine, on the way through the Elbe Mine to Špindl it creates unique meanders - see our photo gallery. Above the waterfall at the overflow edge there is still a lookout bridge for tourists, from which you can see several nice cascades above the main waterfall. The Elbe waterfall is often supplemented by a rapids above the lookout - the total height of the waterfall is 35 m.
We recommend a trip to the Elbe waterfall and back to Špindlerův Mlýn through the Elbe mine. The reward will be beautiful views of the valley of the Elbe mine.
History of the Elbe Waterfall:
The main reason for the large tourist traffic at Labská bouda was the Labský waterfall. Because the flow in this place does not yet have much water, the power of the waterfall was once increased as a tourist attraction by a small reservoir, which could hold and drain the water above the waterfall. One of the former owners of Labská bouda above the waterfall thus established a smaller reservoir in 1859, the purpose of which was to increase the flow of the waterfall. In the places of the current observation bridge, there was a sluice gate, which the operator raised for a fee, and the accumulated water created the effect of a large waterfall.
After the war, this tourist attraction was abandoned for reasons of nature protection.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR YOU:
- BUY A MAP FROM US
- FIND OUT THE CABLE CARS
- THE WEATHER CHANGES FREQUENTLY
- MOUNTAIN SERVICE - TEL +420 1210
- PROTECT NATURE, DO NOT TAKE FLOWERS, DO NOT DISPOSE OF WASTE
Before a trip to the Elbe Waterfall, stop at our SPINDL.info Infocentre in the center of Špindlerův Mlýn and buy a map. You will make your trip easier and we will be happy to advise you on the details of the trip. The paper map will not discharge and the signal will not be lost. Find out in advance the timetable of the cable car to Medvědín. The times of the last cable car may vary daily.
A look at our webcams will make it easier for you to decide on a trip with regard to the current weather on the ridges of the Giant Mountains.
Webcam - Labská bouda. Elbe waterfall is on the right image of the webcam. It is not visible on the webcam, it is hidden under Labská bouda
Webcam - Vrbatova bouda
Webcam - Medvědín
Please note that the weather - the info here on the ridges of the Giant Mountains changes every moment, so always pack suitable clothing that will protect you from bad weather.
GPS of the Elbe Waterfall: 50.7710150N, 15.5482769E
Map and location of the Elbe waterfall
- Click on the elevation or map below to enlarge:
If you have found a mistake or would like to supplement it with your review, idea or advice, please write to us - HERE.
We will be happy to pass on your knowledge to others ;-)
Thank you very much for your feedback. Create the website www.Spindleruv-Mlyn.com together with us!
© Martin Jandura - SPINDL.info
The website operator does not accept any responsibility for any errors, incompleteness, inaccuracy or outdated information provided on this website.